I must admit, I am a creature of habit when it comes to my meals! We have our go-to’s and keep coming back to them over and over – because they are easy, tried and tested! Lately we have really made the effort to start trying new things and add more recipes to our repertoire.
I have been thumbing through the couple of cookbooks we have, and doing some pinning (if you aren’t following me on Pinterest – go find me now!) and made it my goal to try something new every week. If you follow along with my stories on Instagram, I polled everyone a couple of weeks ago on what recipe I should try – the choice was between ground turkey burrito bowls, and these buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes. The race was pretty close and in the end it sort of ended 50/50! Last week I picked up the ingredients for both dishes, and we decided to try this sweet potato one first!
A few things to mention about this recipe:
A) it was SO EASY. It probably took 15 minutes of actual work (minus the time the chicken spent in the crockpot and the sweet potatoes in the oven- which I did early in the day in prep for assembling it right before dinner)
B) the sweet potatoes I picked up were very LARGE. And honestly I could have gone with much smaller potatoes as there was so much left over! (which I guess isn’t a bad thing because it was SO good!)
C) the original recipe called for much more ingredients in the buffalo sauce – I chose to keep it simple, cut out a few ingredients and lessen the amount of ghee (butter) it asked for to make it lighter. it was still so flavorful and I didn’t miss the other ingredients at all!
Without further ado… here is what you do for these Skinny Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (orange flesh)
- 2 large chicken breast skinless boneless
- Bolthouse Farms – Blue Cheese dressing (used to top final dish)
- cilantro for garnish
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- 1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce
- 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp water
- Cook chicken in the crockpot – do this earlier in the day, or even the day before – make sure the chicken cooks to be tender enough to shred easily with your fingers or two forks.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminium foil, place sweet potatoes on it and bake for 60 minutes or until flesh is tender. You can turn off the oven and keep the sweet potatoes inside to keep them warm.
When sweet potatoes are cooked and staying warm – in a large pot over medium heat, combine hot sauce, vinegar, butter and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly. Turn off the heat and add shredded chicken. Mix so that chicken is covered in sauce.
Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven, cut them in half lengthwise (without cutting them all the way down so that the two parts stay attached together) and stuff them with shredded buffalo chicken. Drizzle, with Bolthouse Farms blue cheese dressing to your liking on each sweet potato. Top with fresh cilantro.
Serve, Eat & Enjoy!!